Saturday, December 23, 2017


Good Saturday Morning Everyone!
I've been super busy since my last post. I finally delivered the coffee table and end tables set that I built for my vet down in Anderson, AK. Took it down to him yesterday. He and his wife were happy. That's what counts! We just had another major snow a couple days ago so the roads were in pretty bad shape. It made for a rough ride and I feel it this morning!


This table set was made from pine using plans from Ana-White.com. This was my first big pocket hole project and it went great! The finish is Minwax Cherry stain with four coats of Minwax polyurethane sealer on top. The wood shines and it is slick! I normally use shellac so I wasn't sure about the poly at first. As you can see it does well. I have space opened up now for the next project to get out. 

 
That project is an old hand crafted Inuit dog sled. It's seen better days and it's mushing days are over.  This was kitty's last sled.  Yep, she's an old musher. We're going to turn it into a really nice vintage display piece. It makes a great lounge chair. I'm almost finished sanding. Next I have a few repairs to make, then new paint and sealer and some really nice cushions. I think you'll be surprised when you see the finished product!





Christmas is just about here and we got an unexpected present last night. Meet Nova, aka Super Nova, aka Nova Scotia. Nova is a 7 year old huskie, blue heeler mix breed. He's had a pretty rough life and it shows. He was rescued by another yesterday out of a bad situation. She couldn't keep him so Kitty stepped in! Kitty and Ally have needed a new buddy in the pack for a while now. Our family is growing!


Nova is underweight and looks to be malnourished. He's well behaved but very timid right now. We're pretty sure he was beat. If you notice his ribs and haunches, he was getting close to not being around much longer. That's okay, we'll take care of him and soon he'll be another fat huskie just like Ally! He seem's like he will be a good dog. Time will tell. The good part is that Ally has accepted him so far.



Ally was a rescue also. We brought her home from animal control about six years ago. Oni, Kitty's service wolf was getting older and needed a buddy. Ally was to be his buddy and hopefully Kitty's replacement as a service dog. That plan didn't work out. I finally had to put Oni down as he was in pain, and Ally decided to choose me and bond. For the first time in her life, Kitty was dogless. 


We've talked much over the last three years about another dog for her. Timing and things getting in the way always seemed to put that on hold. That all changed when I returned from Anderson last night. I wasn't prepared yet but when Kitty showed me the pictures of him I knew we had to help. Nova most likely would have been put down had we not stepped in. He didn't deserve it.



This is a win for all. Nova gets a new chance at a decent life. Ally now has a new buddy and they will end up being best friends. She's been down for a while now being the only pack dog in the cabin. Most important, Kitty has a dog again. I'll take care of Nova but will have to be kind of distant. We want him to bond with Kitty and we don't want Ally thinking she's being replaced. There were some jealous pay attention to me moments last night!



I hope everyone is okay and getting ready for a good holiday. Christmas is indeed here! More important than Christmas, we just passed winter solstice. The days are no longer getting shorter. We gained 15 seconds yesterday. Alaska summer is once again just around the corner. Take care everyone!

 
Still the Queen!

Merry Christmas From ArcticArtique!


ArcticArtique.BlogSpot.Com

Recycle Repurpose Resuse

No comments:

Post a Comment