Monday, November 13, 2017


Our first major snow event is coming to a close. We got dumped on! So, what do you do in Alaska when a big snow is on and the roads are covered? You keep going, that's what. 

What am I?

We don't have snow days here. We don't close our schools because we just got eight inches. We don't laze around the house and have snow parties. We keep going. If we can't work outside, there is plenty of work inside. 

Always sterilize!

I didn't leave the property yesterday. I spent quite a bit of time keeping the snow off my tents. Our lives depend on those tents these days. All of our eBay stock is stored out there in dry totes. Future projects are out there, staying dry and waiting for me to get to them. My shop is in those tents. All of my tools are there ready for use when I need them. My helicopter tools are there also, waiting for someone to call me and say they need help. Those days feel like they are long gone, but I'm ready if needed.



My tent is cold but it's dry. I don't stain or paint out there but all of my cutting and fitting is done outside, either in the tent or on a stand out in the snow. What can I say, it's Alaska and the ground will be white until May. I have to work somewhere!

Haven't seen this mornings snow yet


I am once again trying to find winter work locally. Once again, there are no jobs out there. From a personal perspective, I do not understand how our government can say the economy is rolling along now. I do not see where all these jobs are they say are being added to our economy. I do see that we have another false economic boom based on Wall Street and speculation. It is what it is. I keep doing anything I can to scrape by and keep a roof over our heads. It can get tough in a society where older workers are no longer required or wanted. We seem to make it though. This is our fourth winter living this way.

Do I have to tell you what this is?


Okay, I got sidetracked once again. Yeah, I moved snow yesterday. I'll move snow again today. I also worked inside on several projects. Our cabinet is almost ready. I need to find a really nice set of door pulls for it. I don't want new if I can help it. I'll check with a friend and see if I can find a nice vintage set that will make this pop!

Shelter Logic...Alaska Tough


We had blueberries that were being stored. Needing more freezer space, we processed all of our blueberries last night. Not only does blueberry jam taste good, we can make a few bucks selling what we know we won't eat. It's a long process getting them into jars and sealed but worth it! 

Our driveway!
 

Well, the sun is finally coming up and I have birds to feed. We have several species that don't fly south for the winter. We do our part to help them make it through winter. Camp Robbers are fun to watch but they eat a lot of bread. Ravens are starting to come in also. It's now time for another big day of homestead life in Alaska!

Getting closer


ArcticArtique.BlogSpot.Com

Recycle, Repurpose, Reuse


Blueberries=Yum!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you guys stay warm up there! Love the jam :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! We're about to get dumped on again. Winter in Alaska!

      Delete