Monday, November 27, 2017

I haven't had a chance to write very much for a while now. I took a breather today and here I am again. Writing for me is relaxing. I enjoyed my day.

So here's a little homesteading 101 as told to me by Miss Kitty.
Food Storage.


Winter is dark in Alaska. We're heading into the most of the day, dark time of the year now. Vitamins are important to us here. We don't have the sun for our daily required dose of vitamin D. Fruits and vegi's and berries are very important to us. They supply our vitamins and nutrients. Moose and salmon are awesome but you can't live on just meat.


We have a very short window to eat our fruits and vegi's here due to shipping times getting our food to us. A lot of times you can buy fruit and it's going bad in three days. That gets expensive considering the cost of our food too. 


What's the solution? All-American Canner! Yes, you can can your fruits too. Check this out. We had a couple of pineapples a few weeks back. They sat around for while, waiting to be chopped up and eaten. Didn't happen and we were going to have to throw them away soon. I played slicer and dicer and didn't even cut my finger with my very dull kitchen knife. I'm sure you've cut a pineapple before so I won't bore you with the cut details. Anyway, I filled four quart jars with pineapple chunks and pressure cooked for 20 minutes at about 5-7 pounds of pressure. Just enough to get the lids to seal. 


All four sealed! I put them on the shelf and let them sit for about three weeks. I tried one today. I have one word to say...WOW! I'll even say it backwards...WOW. That jar was the best tasting pineapple I have ever tasted. There were no additives or preservatives. There were no chemicals added in. Nothing but a very ripe, very juicy pineapple! Check out the little jars. We did the same thing to a bunch of peaches. Again, the picky autistic person that has always refused to heat his fruits and vegetables has to say WOW!


Guys and gals, if you want to enjoy the best food of your life and save money and leave a slightly smaller footprint, get out the canner. You can can anything. I'm glad I did!


ArcticArtique.BlogSpot.Com

Recycle Repurpose Reuse

No comments:

Post a Comment